Is Your Bed To Blame For Your Back Pain?
When your body is tired and aching, most people assume that a good night’s sleep is the answer to finding relief. And they’re right! Rest is often exactly what your body needs to heal itself. What most people don’t realize, however, is that where you rest might actually be what’s causing your pain. We spend nearly one third of our lives lying in bed, so it’s important to make sure you have a mattress that is going to reduce discomfort, keep your spine naturally aligned and promote sound sleep to rejuvenate your muscles and joints.
Keep these points in mind when shopping for a new mattress:
- Your height and weight: Goldilocks knew exactly what she was doing! The mattress that you sleep on nearly every night should easily and comfortably accommodate your body. Shop around until you find something that fits you.
- Mattress materials: Don’t settle for the latest mattress trend. A traditional mattress may work for you, but try out several options. Take advantage of free trials of mattresses that are adjustable or made of materials such as memory foam. Find what is most comfortable for your body.
- Also, make sure you watch out for gimmicks. If you see a mattress for sale that boasts “medically-approved” or “orthopedic,” be sure to check that there is a medical organization that officially certifies these labels for mattresses to carry.
- Firm vs Soft: Ideally, you want to sleep with your spine naturally aligned, not being pulled or forced one way or another. The surface of your bed should allow your spine to naturally align. Too hard and your spine may be pushed out of alignment. And too soft could mean that parts of you sink too far into the mattress, pushing your back out of alignment.
- Add accessories as needed: Don’t stop with a new mattress. Experiment with different types of pillows to determine which will best support your neck depending on whether you are a side sleeper, back sleeper or front sleeper.
It is important to remember that sleep is necessary for back and spine health. Choosing the right mattress could mean the difference between a sleepless night and sweet dreams. If you are looking for other tips on how to take care of your back during sleep, contact us for an appointment with Dr. Fayaz.